The Town of Andover Shared streets program allows for temporary modifications to bus stops, curbs, parking areas, sidewalks, streets and other public spaces in support of public health, safe mobility, revitalization, and strengthened commerce. The Andover Planning Division received a grant from the Shared Streets and Spaces Program, administered by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), which allows municipalities and public transit authorities to quickly implement improvements to plazas, sidewalks, curbs, streets, bus stops, parking areas, and other public spaces.
- Installation of bike racks in the downtown
- Outdoor dining program
- Temporary, traffic calming installations @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Space for safer physical distancing
- A sense of place where people feel more comfortable and welcome walking and biking
- Lower traffic speeds and volume
- Collect data and public feedback
- Safer access to grocery stores, schools and other locations in town for those that bike, roll or walk @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The temporary modifications provide an opportunity to assess infrastructure modifications without making a large investment. As we see how the streets are working, get feedback from residents, and adjust to the changing business operations and commuting patterns during this time, we anticipate making changes to shared streets.
After residents voiced concern over excessive speeding and cut-through traffic, the Planning Department embarked on a series of neighborhood meetings, internal working group meetings, and site walks to better understand resident concerns. The Traffic working group which consists of staff from the Andover Police Department, Department of Public Works Engineering Department and Planning analyzed resident feedback and traffic condition to create traffic Pilot traffic claiming plans.
Maple Avenue Traffic Calming Pilot Information Meeting
Maple Avenue Residents are invited to attend a virtual listening and informational session on May 9th from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Please use this link to join the session.